2023 Teacher Externship Application
Feb 16, 2023
Workforce Solutions Deep East Texas
Teacher externships offer a professional development experience that is often transformative for educators and their students. Teachers will learn how industry specific strategies can be applied in the classroom. With this unique first-hand experience, teachers can design and implement classroom activities, projects, and work-based learning opportunities. The program will aim to match teachers with host companies that use the skills and training they teach in the classroom. Participating companies are part of the following target industry sectors: manufacturing, health care, transportation, utilities, mining, construction, trade contractors, administrative/support services and professional/technical services.
Based on their worksite experience, each teacher will write a lesson plan and incorporate it into the classroom instruction during the Fall Semester of 2023. Teachers who complete the Externship will receive a $1,000 stipend, paid in two parts--$500 upon completion of the externship summer requirements, and $500 upon the classroom delivery of the lesson plan before November 30, 2023.
Previous WSDET Teacher Externships have resulted in internships and jobs for students, industry career exploration fairs, equipment donations, tours, and classroom speakers. Click to learn more about past years: 2021 and 2022.
- $1,000 stipend at the end of the externship – paid out in two phases ($500 after completion of the externship in June, $500 after the lesson delivery in Fall 2023)
- Professional development opportunity - apply industry specific strategies in the classroom
- Invaluable experience and business connections - inform, educate, guide and connect students to industries that match their skill sets
- Application: Teachers who meet eligibility requirements are asked to identify what they hope to gain from this experience and explain how it will impact their students’ educational outcomes.
- Eligibility requirements: Teacher, counselor, director in a Deep East Texas school district; 14 years or older; U.S citizen or noncitizen authorized to work in the U.S.; and if male, meet U.S. Military Selective Service registration requirement.
- Attendance: Employers will certify teacher attendance and fulfilment of expectations.
- Lesson Plan: Teachers will prepare a lesson plan using what they learned and deliver it to students in the 2023 Fall semester .
- Post-Externship Survey: Teachers will complete a survey associated with the experience.
- June 12, 2023 – Half Day Orientation for all participating teachers and Employer contacts.
- June 13-15, 2023 – Onsite at the Employers worksite
- June 16, 2023 – Half Day Debrief for all participating teachers and Employer contacts.
Teacher Extern Selection:
- Teacher must meet eligibility requirements.
- Priority will be given for Career and Technical Education Teachers and Directors, Counselors, and Teachers whose teaching interests align with skills required in one or more of the Demand Industries or Occupations.
- Teachers who participated in the previous externship will only be considered after all first-time applicants have been placed and there are still open slots.
- If more than thirty (30) teachers apply, a waiting list will be maintained to fill slots that may become available prior to the beginning of the program.
The completed application and all required documents must be submitted by the deadline of March 25, 2023.